Special Cases and Exemptions
If you do not have a high school diploma or GED equivalent:
- You must take and pass the Ability to Benefit Test (ATB). The cost of the ATB test is $75.00, paid with cash or money order. This is cost is not included in the cost of the nursing course. It is an extra cost that may apply to you if you do not have or do not have access to your high school diploma or a GED equivalent.
- The ATB test will be taken at VIP Nursing School. Once you finish the ATB test, we will mail the test to ACTT. Test results will be mailed to us within one week. A copy of the test results will be given to you.
- Schedule an appointment with the admission coordinator of VIP Nursing School to take the ATB.
- A passing score (minimum of 97) on the ATB is required before the start date of class.
You are exempted from getting a physical if...
- Physical Examination with PPD Result is less than 6 months old.
Please bring your current Physical Examination with PPD result done within 6 months, if positive, bring a CxR result.
- If you do NOT have a current Physical and TB test, have a medical doctor (MD) or Nurse Practitioner (NP) do the Physical Examination and TB test completed and submit it one week before the 1st day of class.
Details about the TB test:
- A negative result from a TB test that is less than 6 months old is acceptable. Bring a copy of the negative test result on registration day or the first day of class. A negative TB test that is more than 6 months old is not valid and you must get a TB test done.
- If you received a TB test in the past and the result was positive, a chest x-ray is required. The chest x-ray must be less than 2 years old in order for it to be accepted. Bring a copy of your results and chest x-ray if you did not show it to your doctor during the physical.
- You do not have to bring a copy of your chest x-ray if you showed it to your doctor during your physical appointment. The doctor must make a note on your physical examination form about the chest x-ray.
Your are exempted from live scan fingerprinting if...
- You had a live scan done for the Department of Health Services ATCS Code A1226 that is less than two years old.